Sequins will always be a popular choice in fashion. Here at the Fabric Shop you can find a variety of colours in our range of sequin fabrics that can help you add some extra sparkle and glamour to your creations. Although a sequin fabric can totally transform your garment into something glamorous and magnificent, it can sometimes be a little tricky to work with. In this post we'll explore the sequin fabric that we have available in store and online, and offer some tips for sewing them.
What is Sequin Fabric?
Sequin fabric is commonly used in evening wear, dance costumes, and stage productions. It is a type of fabric that is embellished with small, shiny discs known as sequins. These sequins are usually made of plastic or metal and can be sewn or glued onto the fabric. There are different types of sequin fabrics available such as mesh, chiffon, and satin. Our range of sequin fabrics are a polyester mesh, with small shiny plastic sequins sewn on top.
Tips for Sewing with Sequin Fabric and Material
Whether you want to create an eye-catching applique on a skirt, a playful throw pillow, or a stunning full length gown, sequined fabric can help you achieve the desired “WOW” factor.. However, sequin fabric comes with its unique challenges that can require some additional care and attention during the sewing process. So, here are some helpful tips to help you get the best results from the fabric:
- Use a sharp needle, and have a few extra needles handy! As sewing through sequins can sometimes (almost every time) break the needle.
- Use a walking foot or a roller foot to prevent the sequins from getting caught in the fabric
- Sew slowly and carefully, and avoid pulling or stretching the fabric
- If you need to trim the fabric, use scissors with a sharp point to avoid cutting the sequins and cut one layer at a time.
- Handle touch-ups by hand if you have removed sequins during the stitching process
- Be prepared to create a little mess in your work space, you may even find stray sequins turning up in the most odd places!
Remember to follow the tips for sewing your sequin fabric to achieve the best results. Have fun adding some sparkle to your next project and get in touch with us if you need more help!